The underground city of the Karadjordjevic dynasty, or the “Stone girl”, is a unique facility, not only in Serbia, but also in the world, and is potentially a great tourist attraction for the Drina region and the whole of Serbia.
It was built between 1931 and 1934, as a hiding place for King Aleksandar Karadjordjevic, it has as many as 75 rooms connected by kilometers of corridors, and the Municipality of Mali Zvornik has been investing a lot in its adaptation and equipment for tourist visits.
The underground city was opened to visitors at the beginning of 2020, after a lot of investments and efforts, but the crisis with the coronavirus pandemic postponed the moment when this great attraction will become an unavoidable point in every tourist tour of the region.
The Municipality of Mali Zvornik and the Ministry of Trade, Tourism and Telecommunications of Serbia have recognized the exceptional tourist potential of this complex with incredible historical significance, so a lot of money has been invested in adaptation and renovation of walls, floors, water supply and sewerage, waterproofing, electrification and ventilation.
Everyone who comes to the Underground City can see today what the meeting room, King Alexander’s office looked like almost 9 decades ago, as well as many items from the period before the Second World War – telephones, typewriters, uniforms, maps…
The municipality of Mali Zvornik invests a lot in its tourist attraction: large funds have been invested in lighting and adaptation of the premises, so the Underground City was open to tourists in early 2020.
More precisely, one part of this huge complex, because it is still being researched.
Plans for realizing the full tourist potential of this facility are great: the Municipality of Mali Zvornik will apply for additional funds, which will be used for the complete adaptation of one part of the underground city that will be open to tourists.
This text is part of the project “Underground city, a great tourist attraction of Mali Zvornik”, which was co-financed by the municipality of Mali Zvornik.
(Come to Serbia)